The Grenache and Friends Tasting
Grenache rules the roost this weekend as we offer an intriguing variety of Grenache-based wines that provide bold, fruit flavors that provide a tasty companion to barbecues, cheeses and main dishes.
We’ll cool off first with a Pomelo Sauvignon Blanc from Napa with a hint of grapefruit before moving on to a French Grenache blend from the sunniest part of the country and a terrific Syrah from Mendocino as a change of pace.
Next up will be the two powerhouses: A T-Vine Grenache from a high-altitude Mount Veeder vineyard in Napa loaded with complexity and winemaker Dave Phinney’s Department 66 Grenache blend from the southern French coastline near the Pyrenees.
We only have a limited supply of some of these so please stop by and enjoy the company of your fellow tasters and another varied assortment of cheeses and other goodies with your host, Bill Callahan.
Harvest Ranch El Cajon Wine Tasting Event:
Friday, October 3rd, 2014 5pm – 7pm
Saturday, October 4th, 2014 3pm – 5pm
759 Jamacha Road
El Cajon, CA 92019
This weekends selections: $15.00
Pomelo Sauvignon Blanc 2012 ($11.99 During Tasting)
- Cool off with this very elegant, food-friendly wine with exotic floral and fig-like aromatics and a citrusy, melon, quince filled mouth. A full mid-weight is wiped clean by a savory acidity, with flavors that linger and beg for another taste.
Chateau Pech-Redon La Clape 2007 ($12.99 During Tasting)
- This Grenache-based blend comes from the Coteaux du Languedoc in the sun-splashed south of France. The wine is powerful, elegant and vibrant. Fruity and spicy notes mingle with that of a well-integrated oak breeding.
Copain Syrah 2011 ($16.99 During Tasting)
- “One of the great values in California Syrah. Violets, plums, cloves and savory herbs jump from the glass. It is distinguished by its mid-weight, gracious personality. A fabulous wine for the money.” – The Wine Advocate
T-Vine Grenache 2009 ($27.99 During Tasting)
- The grapes come from a vineyard atop Mt. Veeder, one of the coolest in Napa Valley, and the grapes give crisp acidity and electric fruitiness. Pomegranate, cherry and tart cranberry fruit are seamlessly interwoven with toasty oak spice.
Department 66 Grenache 2009 ($29.99 During Tasting)
- Winemaker Dave Phinney of Orin Swift adds this southern French blend to his unique list of wines like Prisoner, Machete and Abstract. The stressed vines produce dark fruit with bold concentration. Composed of 80% grenache with syrah and carignan. Opulent with plum and cherry flavors. Very limited!
See you this weekend!