This Friday, we’ll take a wine tour of Europe; in fact, it could almost be called a Top 100 wines of the world tasting as 3 of the wines were picked by Wine Spectator as representative of the 100 best!
We’ll begin with an Alsatian Riesling from Zind Humbrecht. Then we’ll drop down to the south of France for a value red from Gerard Bertrand. Followed by crossing the border into Spain for a Tarima Hill Mourvedre.
Next, we’ll continue south to the Italian region of Maremma, where we’ll sample a Super Tuscan that’s getting major press! Our last destination, but definitely not least, will be Portugal, where we’ll be very fortunate to try one of the best wines from Chryseia, who placed not one, but two wines on the Top 100! This is an outstanding opportunity to taste wine from some of the great regions in Europe!
We’ll begin with a tasty Rose from the Dragonette boys in Happy Canyon. Since we’re in the neighborhood, we’ll swing by Byron and try the Pinot Noir that’s garnering all the praise around Santa Barbara (and a huge 93 pt score).
And, just to see if we agree that they deserve the huge point score they just got, we’ll pop open arguably one of the benchmarks for Pinot Noir, the Flowers Pinot, and compare the two! Lest you tire of Pinot, we’ll head over to Lodi for some Zin, and of course, Napa Valley for some Cab.
Please join us for some excellent fellowship, and wine, of course.
Harvest Ranch El Cajon Wine Tasting Event:
759 Jamacha Road
El Cajon, CA 92019
Friday, February 27th, 2015 5pm – 7pm – $20/person
The Europe Tasting
Zind Humbrecht Herrenweg Riesling 2012 ($46.99 During Tasting)
- From one of the most respected producers of Alsace, this concentrated wine has weight and richness while showing green fruits, aromatic red currants and tangy zest.
Bertrand Syrah/Grenache 2011 TOP 100 90 WS ($14.99 During Tasting)
- A ripe aroma leads to rich, concentrated dark plum and blueberry flavors, with a succulent spiciness.
Tarima Hill 2012 ($16.99 During Tasting)
- Powerful aromas of blueberry and violet, with smoky flavors of dark cherry and candied flowers, with a sweet, fruit driven finish. 91 Points Wine Advocate.
Brancaia Ilatraia 2010 ($42.99 During Tasting)
- Pure, and oh so silky, featuring flavors of currant and sweet spice. The subtle texture is offset by refined tannins as this cruises to a long aftertaste. Top 100, 94 Points Wine Advocate, 93 Point Wine Spectator.
Prats Symington 2009 ($47.99 During Tasting)
- Pure and powerful, with hints of lushness to the concentrated re plum raspberry and dark currant flavors. Top 100, 94 Points Wine Advocate, 93 Wine Spectator
Saturday, February 28th, 2015 3pm – 5pm – $15/person
The California Tasting
Dragonette Rose 2014 ($21.99 During Tasting)
- Cherry blossom aromas lead to delicate flavors of apricot, watermelon and herb. Made from Grenache, Mourvedre, and Syrah.
Byron Pinot Noir 2012 ($21.99 During Tasting)
- “As good, if not better than wines from the appellation charging twice the price. Aromas of dark berries, medium body, concentrated and ripe fruit. A rocking value!” 93 Points Wine Enthusiast
Flowers Pinot Noir 2012 ($42.99 During Tasting)
- Aromas of wild strawberries, cranberries, and forest floor. Flavors of cherry, raspberry, and pomegranate are framed by fine grained tannins, coastal minerality and bright acidity that culminate on the lengthy finish. 91 Points
McManis Zinfandel 2012 ($11.99 During Tasting)
- Full bodied with ripe purple plums and blueberry flavors. Smooth.
Conn Creek Cabernet 2011 ($29.99 During Tasting)
- Bright red fruits domintate a lively palate that emphasizes nuance over boldness.