The Rising Stars Tasting
New wines and wineries seem to come along on a regular basis, and old favorites sometimes fade into obscurity, ala Merlot’s overnight change from the most popular varietal to the least popular. Tastes change and new wine fans come along.
This weekend we’ll sample a few of the Rising Stars in the wine world. We’ll start with Randy Mason, who makes one of the world’s best Sauvignon Blancs in the heart of Napa Cabernet country ~ Oakville.
We’ll try one of the Monterey Pinot Noirs that are attracting huge followings, and then some of the modern European red blends that are redefining Old World styles.
We’ll end up with a Napa Cab from Oakville, the cult capital for Cabernet.
Should be a great one!
~ Patrick Campbell
Harvest Ranch El Cajon Wine Tasting Event:
Friday, May 8th, 2015 5pm – 7pm – $20/person
Saturday, May 9th, 2015 3pm-5pm – $15/person
759 Jamacha Road
El Cajon, CA 92019
The Rising Stars Tasting
Mason Sauvignon Blanc ($13.99 During Tasting)
- Randy Mason has long been recognized by the wine industry as being one of the best Sauvignon Blanc producers in the country. A pioneer in California Sauvignon Blanc, the Mason Sauvignon Blanc sets the standard for domestic producers to strive for.
Hahn SLH Pinot Noir ($19.99 During Tasting)
- “Lovely berry fruits on the nose, with juicy notes throughout, emphasizing the fruit. With strawberry and cranberry flavors, this is certainly a warmer expression of Pinot Noir than you’d find in some Old World sites, but a delicious, juicy and thoroughly enjoyable wine all the same.” 92 Points Decanter
Crognolo ($27.99 During Tasting)
- “Richly layered, colored, perfumed and sculpted with dazzling red fruits, a great mouthfeel, silky tannins and exceptional balance. A tremendous follow-up to the superb 2011.” 95 Points JS
E 3 Red Blend ($17.99 During Tasting)
- Impressive intensity on the nose with elevated dark cherry and exotic spice notes. The entry is rich with youthful berry compote, floral, and plum flavors, complimented with bright acidity. The finish is expansive and pleasing with a persistent mocha tinge and silky tannins. A blend of Grenache/Garnacha, Tempranillo, Monastrell, and Carignan. 93 Points Last Vintage
Ghost Block Cabernet ($54.99 During Tasting)
- “The 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate, which is an Oakville vineyard, offers notes of pen ink, creosote, blackcurrants and a touch of toasty, smoky oak. It’s deep, medium to full-bodied and very successful for the vintage. Drink over the next decade.” 91 Points Robert Parker
We hope to see you out this weekend!