Every year on the third Thursday of November, at the stroke of Midnight, the young red wine Beaujolais nouveau is released onto the market in a frenzy of promotion, buying and drinking. Just 6-8 weeks old, the wine is intended for immediate consumption, and is celebrated as a marker of the new vintage. The uncorking of the bottles in France is marked by parties, fireworks and other festivities. In the 1960s and 70s, the wine began to become popular outside of France, with canny marketing gurus turning the race to export the newly bottled wine into an event itself (Le Figaro, the French newspaper, has called the rush ”the greatest marketing stroke since the end of World War Two”.) Means of transport have allegedly included elephant, Concorde, and a hot-air balloon.
We hope to see you out this Friday!
Thanksgiving Beaujolais Nouveau Day Tasting Event
Friday, November 18, 2016 – 5pm to 7pm
Tasting Cost: $20
THANKSGIVING BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU TASTING EVENT:
Here are the wines we have selected to share with you.
- GEORGES DUBOEUF BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU - $12.99 The most well-known producer of Beaujolais Nouveau is Georges Duboeuf, who is credited as one of the marketing geniuses behind the wine.
- J.J. PRUM KABINETT - $39.99 Refined and juicy on the palate, this wine has a perfect balance of a fruity sweetness and a finely racy acidity. 92 Points RP
- FOUR GRACES PINOT NOIR OREGON - $29.99 Flavors are focused and bursting with red and blue fruits, a hint of cocoa and silky smooth tannins.
- DUCKHORN MERLOT - $59.99 ”Duckhorn takes the soft lushness of merlot and brings along some crisp tailoring. It’s a clean wine with stamina, coasting on soft cherry flavor, darkening to blueberry length. A simple pleasure.” 90 Points WE
- CHAPPELLET CABERNET FRANC - $74.99 Thick and rich in black sugarplum, this memorable Pritchard Hill-grown red is lovely and bold, velvety in texture with a softness to the firm, integrated tannin. 94 Points WE – Editor’s Choice
- CASTILLO YGAY GRAN RESERVE 2007 - $78.99 “Full-bodied, racy and linear. So polished. It’s like a red ruby. 86% tempranillo and 14% mazuelo in the blend. Amazing!” 98 Points JS/95 Points RP
Special Event Bottle Pricing:
Save 10% off any 3 bottles from tonight’s tasting.
Save 15% off any 12 bottles from tonight’s tasting.
NOTE: If you purchase a case of wine (12 bottles) we will refund your $25.00 tasting fee on top of the 15% discount.
Charcuterie Pricing: (Cold Meat/Cheese Trays)
Small Plate $9.99
Large Plate $14.99
See you Friday night!