This week’s tasting focuses on the wines of noted winemaker Sal Galvan, who earned his stripes at Pine Ridge and Robert Mondavi before striking out on his own with his Solano County winery as well as serving as winemaker for Press Cellars, Harvest Ranch Cellars and Chateau Potelle.
Galvan fell in love with Solano County’s Green Valley AVA and expanded Galvan Family Cellars to a 3,500 case production, working closely with vineyards in Green Valley, Suisun Valley and Napa.
We’ll open with a creamy Sauvignon Blanc before moving to the reds, including a Thanksgiving-friendly Gamay Noir, a Harvest Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon and a fruit-forward Zinfandel-based blend before wrapping up with a sinful late-harvest Dolcetto.
Please join your fellow tasters and host Bill Callahan, who will provide a tasty spread of cheeses, crackers and meats to accompany these fine wines.
Harvest Ranch El Cajon Wine Tasting Event:
Friday, November 21st, 2014 5pm – 7pm
Saturday, November 22nd, 2014 3pm – 5pm
759 Jamacha Road
El Cajon, CA 92019
This weekends selections: $20.00
Galvan Family Cellars Sauvignon Blanc 2012 ($16.99 During Tasting)
- This Sauvignon Blanc comes from grapes grown on the eastern side of Napa Valley from the famed Rutherford appellation. Whole clusters were pressed into 60-gallon French oak barrels and fermented with native yeasts and aged for 12 months, yielding a wine with a creamy, elegant mouth feel.
Galvan Family Cellars Gamay Noir 2012 ($15.49 During Tasting)
- Grapes from Gamay vines planted in 1948 were picked at optimal ripeness and one half put through the carbonic maceration method and then blended with the other half and racked in French oak barrels for 13 months. Think nouveau beaujolais and pair this with your turkey dinner.
Harvest Ranch Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 ($33.99 During Tasting)
- Our powerful Mt. Veeder cab crafted from low-yield grapes that produced an exceptionally fine wine featuring hints of blackberries, blueberries, spring flowers and graphite in a smooth, opulent style.
Galvan Cellars Viejo Red Blend 2011 ($23.99 During Tasting)
- A blend of Zinfandel, Syrah, Gamay Noir and Petite Sirah from vines planted in 1938 in the Wirth Ranch in Solano County’s Green Valley, this fruit-forward, dynamic wine begs for a pairing with barbecued meats.
Galvan Family Cellars Dolcetto 2012 ($16.99 During Tasting)
- What’s for dessert over the holiday season? It’ll be tough to beat this late harvest dessert wine from Solano County’s Green Valley featuring a deep ruby hue and delicious flavors of brandied cherries and sweet plum.
See you this weekend!