George Yount planted the first wine grapes in the Napa Valley in 1839. By 1889 there were more than 140 wineries in operation, including Schramsberg (founded in 1862), Beringer (1876) and Inglenook (1879). By the turn of the 20th century the industry saw prices plummet amidst a sea of surplus grapes, and the arrival of phylloxera dealt vintners a stunning blow as more than 80% of the valley’s vineyard acreage fell victim to the destructive root louse. An even greater threat to the Napa Valley wine industry arrived in 1920 with the enactment of Prohibition. Vineyards and wineries were abandoned over the next 14 years with only a handful of wineries continuing to operate by producing sacramental wines.
With the repeal of Prohibition in 1933, Napa Valley’s wine industry began its slow recovery. During this time, John Daniel Jr. resurrected Inglenook, Georges de Latour re-established Beaulieu Vineyards (BV), Louis M. Martini built his winery and the Mondavi family purchased Charles Krug Winery.
This week, we’ll salute a few of the pioneers who resurrected the Napa Valley wine industry.
Napa Pioneers Wine Tasting Event
Friday, October 21st, 2016 – 5pm to 7pm
Tasting Cost: $20
NAPA PIONEERS WINE TASTING EVENT:
Here are the wines we have selected to share with you.
- EL MOLINO CHARDONNAY - $59.99 Perfumed floral aromas and flavors of honeydew melon and honeysuckle are pure and elegant, with a zesty vibrancy and lively aftertaste. 90 Points WS
- EL MOLINO PINOT NOIR - $67.99 Sleek and smoky, with a firm, trim band of zesty wild berry, dried herb, anise and mineral notes. Ends with snappy tannins and acidity.
- HEITZ MARTHA’S VINEYARDS CABERNET - $179.99 Pure and concentrated, Martha’s Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon shares the unique beauty of its Oakville terroir with its lush varietal aroma. 94 Pts CT
- VINE CLIFF CABERNET - $49.99 “*Cellar Selection* Brawny, with an explosive concentration of blackberry, this intense wine offers hints of tobacco, smoked meat and black licorice elevated on the palate.” 92 Pts WE
- LOUIS MARTINI LOT 1 CABERNET - $119.99 “A stunning dense ruby/purple color is followed by abundant aromas of crème de cassis, new saddle leather, licorice and spice box. This full-bodied beauty should age effortlessly for 20-25+ years.”
Special Event Bottle Pricing:
Save 10% off any 3 bottles from tonight’s tasting.
Save 15% off any 12 bottles from tonight’s tasting.
NOTE: If you purchase a case of wine (12 bottles) we will refund your $25.00 tasting fee on top of the 15% discount.
Charcuterie Pricing: (Cold Meat/Cheese Trays)
Small Plate $9.99
Large Plate $14.99
See you Friday night!