The Hill Family Estate Wine Tasting
When he’s not riding waves, Kyle Knox is a passionate wine maker and brand ambassador for Hill Family Estate. While the combination of a discerning sommelier and an easy-going surfer may seem counterintuitive, Pro Surfer Knox’s latest endeavor, called “The Barrel Blend” makes perfect sense. “It’s a blend of merlot, cabernet and a little bit of syrah,” says Knox. “I collaborated with the Hill family, who operate out of Napa. They’re a boutique winery, so their bottles typically go from twenty to thirty or fifty dollars, but this is sort of our left over wine, made from the excess juices so it sells for a little cheaper. Basically, we wanted to make the best twenty dollar bottle of wine you could buy.” “I’m a huge wino,” says Knox. “It’s so funny. You’d never guess it; it’s not like I only drink wine, but with a nice dinner it’s definitely the way to go.”
And if you’re not into wine, it’s almost worth it just to have a wine bottle with a sick barrel shot on it.
Kyle will join us this weekend so we’ll be stoked if you’ll
Come join the Party Wave!
Harvest Ranch El Cajon Wine Tasting Event:
Friday, April 17th, 2015 5pm – 7pm – $20/person
Saturday, April 18th, 2015 3pm-5pm – $15/person
759 Jamacha Road
El Cajon, CA 92019
The Hill Family Estate Wines
Hill Family Sauvignon Blanc ($19.99 During Tasting)
- The nose is fragrant and lifts white peach, lychee, and honeydew melon into the aroma. The palate is full with a big center and nice acidity, showing melon and white peach flavors to match the nose, then adding in Meyer lemon, and some golden delicious apple.
Hill Family Chardonnay Carly’s Cuvee ($21.99 During Tasting)
- This 2012 Chardonnay offers buttery popcorn, orange marmalade and honeyed citrus notes, medium to full body, excellent purity and ripeness and loads of fruit. Drink it over the next 2-3 years. ~ Robert Parker
Hill Family Merlot Beau Terre Vyd ($29.99 During Tasting)
- Very attractive, the 2012 Merlot from Beau Terre Vineyard shows mocha and a touch of darker chocolate in a round, black cherry and currant-centered and flavored style. It is medium-bodied, silky soft and best drunk over the next 4-5 years. ~ Robert Parker
Hill Family Barrel Blend ($19.99 During Tasting)
- The 2012 Proprietary Red is rich, dense and full-bodied with dark plum, blackcurrant and blueberry-like fruit. It’s elegant, pure, full-bodied with velvety texture and sweet tannin. Drinkable now, this wine should continue to offer delicious consumption for 5-7 years. ~ Robert Parker
Hill Family Syrah Clarke Vyd ($31.99 During Tasting)
- The Clarke Syrah has a big, deeply fruited nose, with raspberry jam, and hints of mescal and vanilla crème soda. Ripe plum, raspberry, cassis, wild strawberry and a vanilla finish make this wine appealing to drink.
We hope to see you out this weekend!